View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 PM

If weight is not an issue I’d have a cast iron airtight for sure,I hate those liteweight tin can piece o craps that only hold a fire for 3 hrs but if it’s a horseback or ATV hunt not much choice.
Another option I’ve been considering(I too have a 12x14) is a diesel heater,I’ve seen pretty nice military grade stoves at some Army Surplus stores for $300-$500-ish??
Normally I don’t mind cutting firewood and kinda like it actually and love a good wood stove fire,but I took my young teen son on an early Oct hunt cpl years ago and we got dumped on by 10” snow....gathering firewood became a real chore as everything was soaked,piling wet wood up all around the stove just to thaw it out enough to burn etc etc/keeping fire going was a full time job almost.....that’s when I thought I should get a diesel stove.
-consistent heat/no stoking the stove all night
-more time for hunting/no wasted time gathering firewood
Again....normally cutting wood is no big deal and all part of the experience but it’s another chore to do after setting up tent,or you get to campsite late in day etc etc gotta make time for it next day,time that could be spent hunting for deer and elk instead of hunting for slash piles and standing/leaning deadwood.
$50 bucks worth of diesel for the week and be done with it.