View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
My wife abd I took our 2 year old daughter for a walk along a creek to see if we could show here a beaver as she had seen one in a kids book we read her.

It was in the spring and I had a tag in my pocket so on a wim I carried a rifle. We heard a noise in the bush close by and thought it was a deer. Then we walked down and across the creek and when I looked back there was a black bear sniffing around where we had been. It came down and crossed the creek and started towards us as we yelled at it to leave. I finally shot it.

A "bear incident" that did not become a statistic because the human had weapon.

"Is this thread getting better or what?"
Lol, I worked at a plant site where we delt with bears on a pretty regular basis. The odd one got shot but usualy a sausage stuffed with cayan pepper did the trick.

I currently do alot of work on remote well sites in the Swan Hills area as well as Sawn Lake, many of these are quad in and bears are not uncomon. Neither me or any of the opperaters that need to work around bears bother with any kind of deterent. Now I know the majority of you guys here obviously deal with bears more often than we do. But if a field full of guys who deal with bears on a regular basis dont need guns then I'm inclined to wonder who does?