Thread: 7mm08 vs. 25-06
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM

I will start out by saying that I have owned both in several models. My favorite is the 25-06...largely because of what I shoot and where I shoot it. I used to do a lot of antelope and long distance coyote hunting on the prairies so a flat tragectory was often required. The 7mm-08 is usually in a smaller shorter rig that makes for an excellent deer rifle in bush and mixed open country. They are both comfortable to shoot recoil wise and ammo is widely available. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Where I would put even more attention is to the scope. Many shooters go cheap on scopes and pay the price later. I am very maticulous with my bench shooting and demand extreme accuracy. I found most any Remington off the shelf will deliver 1 MOA from the box and much less with a trigger job and the right load. The new Remington SPS rifles are an absolute steal at $500 so you have more funds left for glass. Now I spend more than the value of the rifle on my scopes...often much more. The result is that I no longer encounter the frustration of poor quality glass, wandering points of impact, numerous shipments for repair and so on. My accuracy also got even better since the target resolution is that much better than before. Get good glass.