View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 08:38 AM

I just looked it up now:

Mandatory removal of cape and lower jaw
It is also a legal requirement that the lower jaw and cape be removed, and that the eye be intact. If a ram is delivered that is not caped, the sheep will be refused and hunters will have to return at a later date to deliver the caped sheep. A sheep with cape on and lower jaw present cannot be placed in the jig.
A hunter may choose to have a taxidermist remove the cape to meet the registration requirements, rather than removing it themselves. Some taxidermists may request a hunter provide them a bill of lading to grant the taxidermist permission to take possession of unregistered (unplugged) sheep. The hunter should ensure that while the taxidermist is removing the cape that they do not alter the skull and eye, or prepare it for taxidermy before its registered.

My buddy didn’t get the lower jaw removed (I’m sure he wasn’t aware). It could have been easily done on site if they needed it there so obviously the CO was clueless as well. Also why do they need the “eye” intact if they aren’t even using it?
This sheep was caped by a professional taxidermist (a highly recommended one for sheep in Alberta) and he did not remove the lower jaw either so obviously an oversight there as well.

But again that’s not the point.