View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
In all reality I have things that shoot near and far. Some do both. Not much of a deer hunter anymore. Don't know what a 6.5 would do any different then a 243,25-06,257 wby, 30-06, 300rum,338wm or 338 rum will do other then let in the 6.5 club. Been in clubs before.
I think my draw to this club isn't as much about it being the 6.5 club at all. The club i'm drawn to is more like an efficiency club. Do more with less. So although these 3 6.5's i've been mentioning...6.5 G, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC to me are related by the saami set up from the get go, 8 twist barrels for long for caliber bullets, cases shortened and necks lengthened to suit action/magazine lengths while using said bullets and fast twist barrels. So for similar powder burned we can extend effective range with increased b.c. and s.d.

I just so happens all that is happening around 6.5mm bullets around the 120-150 gr bullet range.

I see why, not everyone into big game thinks the 6mm bullets are as versatile, simply not enough lead being limited under 110 grains in 99% of cases. The versatility climbs exponentially for majority of north american(and elsewhere too) big game considerations as you start over 120 grains for many of us and i agree really. I argue s.d. as a good measure of penetration and it is but i still have something in my head that says i'd like throw a certain amount of lead in grains...and 120 gr and up is where i want to be on the minimums, 147 gr would still be considered light for so many who dedicate moose/elk/bear etc. but when you look how high that s.d. it's hard to ignore imo, if you don't understand s.d. then you may feel it's still not enough bullet straight up but some very large african animals have died from 160 gr 6.5 swede's and the reason is s.d. Straight target work the 6mm is tough to beat imo but go to 120 gr, 130, 140, 147 gr 6.5mm and your versatility to big game application just seems to go way up imo. There was clearly a hole and they had to not use the .260 moniker or it would never have gotten off the ground in north america like it has imo. The .257/.260/.264/.270/.277/.284/7mm all have their long ingrained reputations here to overcome. The 6.5mm might have been the best choice to go in terms of marketing(instead of .260 or .264 anything) but it seems the right choice for all practical reasons too, it's a versatile blend of the attributes of the bulk of what we know landing in the middle of the .243/.257/.264/.277/.284

I can't see .25 or .277 being the one to develop out in this new direction of efficiency and the 6mm and 7mm already pretty well modernized by now.

I think the quarter bore has a bit of room and largely ignored lately but still not offer quite the versatility of the 6.5mm. They'd have to follow the efficiency formula though. I imagine a 130-140 gr .25 cal bullets would roll on a .270 130/140 gr pretty badly in both down range performance and penetration ability, wonder what those b.c.'s and s.d.'s would look like? Put a 135 gr .25 cal eld-m in a PRC case and call it the 257 Speed Goat.