View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I remember spending 3 days trolling around that lake without so much as a bite. Infuriating considering how far I drove specifically for the big Kokanee that are supposed to be in there. I've made a trip to Horse lake as well. For thousands of dollars in fuel, gear, and camping I think I've caught 2 Kokanee lol.
I would say kokanee fishing is sometimes a fine art. They are kind of fussy fish, but if you put what they want together it can be fast action.

I think the bigger kokanee mostly live up in the Cariboo Region. Kalamalka has some really big ones but they are not easy to catch and it fluctuates from year to year on the numbers. Wood lake used to have big ones, but ever since they've been managing it better the numbers are way up and the size is topping out around 14 to 15 inch mostly.

I find the two major factors in Kokanee fishing during summer are #1 Depth, #2 Speed. Once you got those figured out then they'll bit a host of things from small spoons, to wedding bands, to kokanee killers, spin and glows, bare hooks.

Troll as slow as you can go and when you think you are going to slow, go slower. Make S bends, and circles and drive like a drunken sailor. You'll catch more that way.

Best of luck!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures