View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
You were definitely in the right place at the right time! Way to go!!
That barb wire is nasty, and this happens way more than one even realizes, most not being so fortunate... The Hublet and I repair several miles of fence for a guy every summer, and have seen at least three unfortunate creatures who died hung up on the wire (two elk calves, a moose calf, and an owl!). I have seen some guys run a smooth wire on the top, or raise the bottom one high enough to crawl under, but that doe was in a real jam.

Your photographs are excellent! Thanks for sharing!
first of all, very nice pictures.
I have also witnessed deer caught in fence wire, unfortunately only legs were left dangling. usually the smaller or younger deer are the ones that get caught. I've watched thousands jump fences and it seems there's more problems for them in winter with deep snow, especially ditches. If there is no pressure, the young ones will run up and down the fence line till they find a high bottom wire and crawl under. I had a deer in our yard one year that looked like it might have been hit by a vehicle, so called the warden and said he would come over and deal with it. But, while he was at our place he told me they witness deer all the time in wire, and the deer normally has such strong willingness to be freed, they detach the leg from the body, or badly dismember it. That's a cruel way to go. So good on you for saying that doe.