View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Might be time to lobby the town for access, I know they have a launch but keep it locked because people were using the launch to access the coulée's below the golf course. Seems a little bit of an over the top reaction. The other point I'd like to make is that you can access the river from the park and walk up the shore line to the pump house area.
The launch does not exist as a launch and is inside the park...the park is gated...open 7 to 11.. I believe. Yes they did put up bullards to keep vehicles from driving in the environmental protection zone as some idiots at the time were driving through the water and heading downstream and tearing up everything. When this was going on there was a natural place there to launch boats and the river was shallow which isn't the case anymore. There is a very steep embankment there where people launch rubber dingys and canoes but it is not an official launch or so they say (hundreds of people use it as one all summer long). The road in question is before the park and has been open to the public 24-7 since the 70s. You could drive up to the gate and walk a short distance through a turnstile to the water..great for older folks and kids and easy to pack your gear into.I guess you could walk from the park after it opened at 7 am and then haul your gear 3/4s of a mile upstream to the fishing hole I suppose but you couldn't during high water..which is when some of the best fishing occurs! If they do this they won't be very popular with the fishing crowd in the area that's for sure.