View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 06:37 AM

Default Loading th 577 Snider

As promise, I am putting this thread up for those interested in loading the 577 Snider.
First off, a picture of one of my original paper cartridge rounds next to a 24 gauge Mag tech case , and two 5.56 rounds, and a little history of thhe carttridge
The Snider was made with foil wrapped brass cases, the paper case as pictured, and drawn brass as well. The drawn brass I have seen is marked "57 Snider" and was made by Dominion cartridge company, which was later became C.I.L.
It was loaded with shot charges as well as bullets.
The bullet itself was hollow based like a Minnie ball, but had a wooden plug inn the base to help the bullet obturate and grab the rifling of those converted muskets, but I am not sure if the cases marked 57 Snider had a hollow based bullet.
There was a filler made up of carded wool between the powder and the bullet.
Many shooters use a .58 Minie designed for the Enfield musket - which is essentially what the Snider is, a converted musket.
However, accuracy is spotty at best from what I have read.
The Minie is often used however when fire forming the brass.
I do not use them, preferring to use solid based cast bullets .

Loading can be done by hand without dies if the cases are already formed, which is very cool!
Cat