View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I used to do this, and still would after a canoe hunt, but I don't do it on a regular basis anymore. Maybe for a walnut stocked rifle that got drenched.

If bringing a cold rifle into a warm house, keep it in its case until the whole works gets to ambient, then you wont have any condensation issues. Camera guys have known this for a long time.

I have a friend who has 1 hunting rifle and hunts hard every fall, all season long. It's a blued rifle and not taken care of overly well, lots of evidence of surface rust and some pitting. He said he had never taken it out of its stock, ever. I assumed it would be a rusty mess underneath so we took it apart out of curiosity. Zero rust, none at all. I guess the factory grease does its job if left undisturbed.
The worst, and quickest, I've ever seen a rifle rust was one that was left in its case after coming out of extreme cold. But I'm not here to debate things, you do things your way, and I'll do them mine. And I will continue to purchase my rifles accordingly. A rifle that has fasteners and other parts that are so cheap that they will doubtfully survive regular disassembly for very long should be avoided regardless IMO, especially when it costs anywhere in the neighborhood of 1K.

YMMV

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.