View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Exactly, just got back from a week long canoe hunt. My rifle was subjected to all kinds of moisture and quite a lot of sand and other crap, I will be pulling it out of the stock to have for a inspection and cleaning ASAP... and probably again at the end of the season.
I used to do this, and still would after a canoe hunt, but I don't do it on a regular basis anymore. Maybe for a walnut stocked rifle that got drenched.

If bringing a cold rifle into a warm house, keep it in its case until the whole works gets to ambient, then you wont have any condensation issues. Camera guys have known this for a long time.

I have a friend who has 1 hunting rifle and hunts hard every fall, all season long. It's a blued rifle and not taken care of overly well, lots of evidence of surface rust and some pitting. He said he had never taken it out of its stock, ever. I assumed it would be a rusty mess underneath so we took it apart out of curiosity. Zero rust, none at all. I guess the factory grease does its job if left undisturbed.