View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Banned

you're building rifle i would have when i built the tikka back in the day, this little sucker just didn't exist back then, i went .270 as with tikka you're buying full length action anyway, for this savage i'd likely have gone for the 7-08 or maybe even the .243, but we all know i'm not a .30 cal fan, haven't like one yet, that 308 is going to move you around a little lol, just did a recoil energy calc. for say hornady 168 gr eldm at 2600 fps (-25 fps per inch from 24" rating) and guessing about 43 gr of powder in it should hit you with about 19.5 ft/lbs in that 6.5 lb package, still a little less than my lightweight .270, but definitely not going to be a good one as an introductory rig

now of course i'd imagine that in the 6.5 G with the 123 eldm (basically same bc/sd as the 168 308 and it would go 2480 fps with about 29.6 gr of powder, recoil energy would be a smile inducing 9.2 ft/lbs in that sweet little rig

i'll keep an eye on savage as if they start chambering the Grendel anywhere and one can grab the bolt head and magazine guts...that'd be the rifle to order up a barrel for and do a swap, because i'm a Grendel Hoe