Thread: The Mentor
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

Arrow

I woke up yesterday morning with the feeling that something special was about to happen that day.
Put me in a right good mood to start things off with!
I busied myself cleaning up after the bear fat rendering project.
Couldn't help but notice the humid cold had that kind of bite that secrets it's way inside even layered clothing to gnaw at your very soul!
So, I sent the Young Gun's Pa a request to make damn sure the Lad got WELL bundled up for the coming eve's hunt.
Forecast says only down to 6 or 7 was his reply.
Don't believe it - layer up heavy...

As I went through the mental checklist of requirements for the hunt, I still had the strong feeling that tonight was going to be special.
Learned a hell of a long time ago not to ignore that intuition, and it has largely been right over the years.
Even so, I am always looking for something to help tip the odds in my favor, and it was with that thought I recalled a faded Talisman lurking in the far far depths of the chest of drawers. I will stray briefly from our tale here to explain this...

On my last foray to Africa, I was nine days in on quest for a particularly large and smart old Kudu Bull.
Decided to take a day down to freshen up and take stock.
A Buddy wandered by, and presented me with a T-Shirt which had been printed up in support of the Painted Dog Research going on in Zimbabwe at the time. It will bring you luck he suggested. Well... Why not?
The next day that old Kudu made a HUGE mistake, and crossed my path at 125 yards.
I was wearing the "magic" shirt, and that was it's first.
Over the years, I would wear it but occasionally - when I felt I needed a little something extra to get me where i needed to be.
And time after time, I claimed another success while it was on my back.
Eventually I became somewhat superstitious about the matter, and only spoke about it with my Lady.
She took this in stride of course, and supported my thoughts regarding it's magic.

Over time, in excess of 40 big game animals have been harvested while that shirt has been on me.
There's a reason I believe in it you see.
These days it is a tattered remnant of it's former self - as many holes as fabric, missing the lower seam, and basically ready to fall apart.
So worn in fact were it now to be washed, it would simply fall apart.
The Missuz only once toyed with the idea of getting shed of it. Once...

So, even though my gut was saying this was probably the day, I carefully unwrapped this Talisman from it's hiding place, and ever so carefully stretched it over my ever-blossoming frame. Still fit! LOL!!

Now armed with my own personal Good Luck Charm, and with fine feelings of impending success, I set off down Island while merrily singing along to the western tunes blaring from the truck's CD player...