View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Another explanation for a difference in wolf behaviour between North America and Europe / Asia that I once read about (can't remember where) is the frequent occurrence of mass human mortality events over there, such as disease outbreaks and wars. The resulting abundance of dead and dying humans caused wolves to become accustomed to eating us over the past 2-3 thousand years. It's conceivable that these circumstances might have had effects leading to differing behaviour in Old World Wolves vs. ours here.
It could well be.

Like others here I have heard stories of disease epidemics leading to Bears scavenging on human remains in Canada. It's conceivable that Wolves may well have done so too.

But our Wolves are not nearly so pressured as European Wolves are and thus, I would think, much less likely to scavenge human remains on this side of the pond.

An old native I knew told me that the Bears in Kananaskis country are flat footed bears. When I asked him what that meant he said they walked different, that they walked flat footed and that they hunted humans.

Then I read that when the Kananaskis valley was discovered there were natives living there and that those people were wiped out some years later by some disease.

Late on I read an account that claimed that Bears in that valley had become unusually aggressive after scavenging on the remains of those people.
The author claimed he was afraid to enter that valley because of those Bears.

I wish I could remember where I read that or even the name of the author, but it's been so long and I never was good at remembering such things.

My mind does not store precise details, it stores general information.
I think because in the bush things change too much. Remembering a precise detail does no good when everything around it has changed.
So I remember the big picture, not the intimate details of that picture.

George Bernard Shaw