View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Been saying the same thing for years now, mechanical flashers work better as flashers but the price difference and extra capability of sonar units (use on a boat, graph view if you prefer old data vs real time, maps/gps etc) make them the preferred unit by many. Sonar units are closing the gap but I think the helix etc are still step behind(Marcum LX-7 is great but pay an arm and leg for it considering no gps/maps).

Once you have the knowledge/experience the historical graph shows you little useful information, real time data is key when ice fishing imo.
I tend to agree, have both types of units and so far can't say that having that tiny bit of history on the graph has amounted to any more fish on the ice.

I think the only real game changer for ice fishing that has come along (Although admittedly I have zero experience with) would be something like Garmins Panoptics. Chasing schools of perch over deepwater flats for example. I think you could eliminate a lot of dead zone without drilling the pile of hoes it can take to find them at times. I just wish those units weren't so expensive.