View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM

..back to the original question..

I don't hunt migratory, but I do hunt grouse and keep threatening to take on turkeys. This fall I may try ducks, we'll see. I bought a new Remington Versa Max a year or so back, and that gun gobbles-up any 12ga loads, be they 2-3/4" target...or big 3-1/2"ers. Recoil is remarkably tame no matter what you put through it, which is in stark contrast to even modest 2-3/4" loads through a pump. A modern semi like a VM is really what's required (in my opinion) if you're looking at anything over 2-3/4"...and like your shoulder feeling normal at the same time. Definitely if 3-1/2" are in your plans. Those through a pump? No thanks!

I mention this because I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as 1 shotgun that will do it all well. Where I hunt grouse, you're looking at over 5kms on the boots, minimum...and I can tell you there is no way I'd lug that VM around on a grouse hunt. On the other hand, the 20ga O/U I carry for that would be the last gun I'd consider if I was duck hunting.

For predator hunting, I have my "tactical" Mossberg 500 as it's light, and fast handling. I don't use it to hunt with, rather, for when coyotes flank me..and end-up a little too close before I realize they're there. lol I've yet to actually shoot one with it, but got awfully close on the last hunt. The bugger was probably 15' to my left when I heard a twig snap. That gets the heart racing!