View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You can chase numbers for sure as they are extremely quantifiable, and have their place for sure.

You can buy top end gear, do all the tweaking and tuning as well.

One must also understand that the biggest variable in the accuracy equation is the shooter! That’s right boys and girls all the Gucci this or glitzy that, means very little if the nut behind the bolt is actually the jerk behind the trigger.

What do we need for accuracy in a hunting rifle? It’s neat and cool to anneal, neck turn, use bushing dies and measure powder to the .001 of a grain, heck I’ve been down that road many a time, but the facts are…..

Very few here are into high level competitions, where all the high priced gear and tuning makes a huge difference.

Run what ya like, but at the end of it all, there’s often far less high profile and costly items we can dwell on to bring us better satisfaction.
I have the gear I have because I shoot a lot. I was at the range last night. I’m back from the range this morning already. All alone I might add. In fact I haven’t seen anyone at the range since September. I can guarantee you that the guys I am not seeing there aren’t annealing cases, aren’t measuring to the .001 of a grain, aren’t shooting $3 brass, don’t use bushings, aren’t trimming their cases to the same length every time, aren’t using a chronograph (in fact in 20 years of going to the range I go to I’ve never seen another chronograph). Most do drive a nicer vehicle and their three months worth of payments will buy most of the “expensive” gear I use for the above steps though.

Now days the most expensive reloading stuff I own are the components. And that is the dead truth.

-Billy Molls