View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That's an important topic actually.

I was frustrated with lighter braid in the down rigger release clips - until I went to a heavier braid. Even if you do the overhand pinch/twist method before setting your braid in the release you would still get inconsistent results.

So ..... went to 30lb braid and got the Scotty releases made for braid (they are ever so slightly different) and have not had an issue since.

Keep in mind 30lb braid is the same thickness of 10lb-12lb mono kind of thing, so it's not overkill and you get zero stretch.

If I'm in clear water and need to be 30ft behind the ball and 120' down mono sucks. I load up the rod heavy and if the trip doesn't stick him at least I am able to set the hook hard and have a hope of sticking him.

Obviously if you are only 10 back and 30 down the total stretch in mono isn't a big deal but you still don't get the loading up you would from braid as you get a "bounce" with mono when it trips or you try sticking him.
Those are all valid points. You have to use what works best for you in a given situation.

The same with fluorocarbon leaders. In certain situations I use them, in others I do not. I have experimented a lot and have seen hookup ratio actually decrease (by around 30%) in some situations.

So what I use could change on any given day, but generally I will be running mono with a down rigger.