View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post

If you reload get some .312 hornady bullets and do up some loads. If you don't reload I find the silver PowerPoint box Winchester seems to be the most accurate 303 shells. I did a test between Remington and Winchester and Winchester won at 100m by 4" in a five shot group. Best PowerPoint group was 2". Don't cut the barrel. I have ran a ball bearing in a 1/2 drill and 'recrowned' the end of the barrel with success. I did this due to not having anything to loose on a sporter that is worth 150 bucks. You mentioned Wiliams sights, by the time you got that on the gun you have doubled what the gun is worth. I like to bed the back bearing surface of the forstock to the socket to 'sturdy things up also I tend to drop in a waxed piece of paper between the barrel band and the barrel to take up some slack...... All what I mentioned with the exception of the ammo was basically free. The reason I mentioned all that is why having a gun that isn't worth anything fun to have around. No I would sink money into it but I would screw around with it until it's your main hunting gun cause they will shoot eventually. That's what I did with mine now I got a whole bunch of beaters to fiddle with when its -30.
Mine shoots both Winchester and Remington 180 grains into a 2.75" group, I've already bedded it and I will try a pressure point in the fore stock next. I already have the Williams sight, it cost me about $40 shipped and I would do the D&T myself. I haven't put it on yet because removing the rear sight on the No1 appears to either require some very careful work with a grinder... and destroying the rear sight, or removing the front sight... at which point I may as well cut down the barrel... then maybe mount a scope...

So even though I have the Williams sight in my possession, installing it feels like it might be the first step in a string of modifications... should I decide to do so.

I agree having a gun that is worth nothing around is pretty fun, and I've even come to enjoy the challenge of trying to shoot to the guns potential with the open sights.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-12-2017 at 08:40 AM.