View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I had a pound out of a hot batch of 4320 that was recalled, it got my attention on a load that was 10% under max. Had to knock the bolt open. Glad I was just starting on that load and running the string of ladder charges.
Well now, that is very interesting. Had a bunch of 140gr 6.5x55 loaded with 37.0gr of 4320 (powder lot was old, but properly stored and in good condition) that were insanely hot!!

I was reloading 140 Nosler custom competition bullets (loaded over RL22) and they were tumbling out of an old '96 Mauser. I had a bunch of the 4320 loads my uncle had loaded years before, so thought I would run a couple through the rifle to make sure it was the bullets. I fired four rounds with the 4th sticking the bolt. In theory the load should have been pretty mellow, likely around 2350 fps; but the recoil was unreal. I run 130s out of a similar weight 270 at 3050 fps, and the recoil from the 6.5 was noticeably worse.

In conversation with my uncle, he stated he had only ever shot one deer with the load, and the results were horrific. "Bloodshot from ear to a-hole" was his words.

I pulled all the bullets and weighed all the charges, all 37.0 gr. In hindsight, I wish I had kept one round to run through the chronograph, but frankly I would be too nervous to pull the trigger again.

I reloaded the same bullets in the same cases with 4831 and they performed reliably.

We have scratched our head about this for a while now, and your post may provide an answer. Do you still have the lot numbers? Do you remember what year it was?