View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Default I am liking what I am hearing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rger-1.4036651

Alberta's new Progressive Conservative leader Jason Kenney says he will run for a seat in the 2019 provincial election, even if he loses the leadership race for a new Alberta conservative party or if a merger with the Wildrose fails.

"My commitment is to get the ball rolling on unity. I'm hoping if we get a united, free enterprise party, we can attract some really talented people seeking its leadership, offering themselves for service," Kenney told Alberta@Noon Wednesday.

"If somebody else is chosen for that united party, they will have my total enthusiastic support," he added.

The former Calgary Midnapore MP said the concept of a united right will only work if people are willing to dump the egos, labels and brands that have divided Alberta politics.

Either way, Kenney said his intention is to run in the 2019 election.

Kenney isn't currently an Alberta MLA, and has said he doesn't intend to ask any of the remaining PC MLAs to resign so he can run for a seat in the legislature at this time.

No provincial sales tax in Alberta

In his interview with CBC Radio, Kenney also said he wouldn't support a provincial sales tax in Alberta.

"I don't think we have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem," he said.

"Why would we look at imposing additional taxes on people especially during a recession, when we are clearly overspending?" Kenney added.

On Wednesday, in its latest budget, the Saskatchewan government expanded and raised its provincial sales tax from five to six per cent. The government said that and other measures would bring in an additional $900 million in tax revenue to the province.

But in Alberta, Premier Rachel Notley said on Monday her government wouldn't bring in a provincial sales tax without first seeking a mandate from voters.