Thread: marten
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Something a lot of you probably don't know is that there was a time when there were very few beaver in the province as well.

I have papers from my dad's trapping that shows he was only allowed to take four beaver off his trapline in the 1950s and that he had to tag each pelt, and sets could not be placed close to the lodge.

That is how few there were. Some old trappers claim they were wiped out by disease. F&W told me they were trapped out.

Back in the 50s and before, trapping was all done on foot or with dogs or horses. There were no cut lines and few roads. One in this whole district in fact. And that was a dirt trail though the bush, not an all weather road. And there was no road crews to keep a road open in the winter.

To day we have infinity more mobility as trappers, we have vastly better equipment, and I am very sure there are a lot more trappers these days, and yet the beaver population continues to grow.

I just don't see a handful of trappers walking from set to set, packing hundreds of pounds of steel leg hold traps, wiping out the beaver populations when hundreds of trappers equipped with modern transport and equipment can't do it.

George Bernard Shaw