View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Beautiful buck. No story?
Yeah I'm pretty proud of her, this is her second big game animal. She also took a really nice muley velvet muley last year, so she has a pretty good start to her hunting career.

We spotted this buck with another the day before and they ended bedding out in the canola, so we let them be (I'm not a fan of going into canola for multiple reasons, and it would have be too tall for a shot anyways). We carried on for the day but didn't really turn up much. We returned that evening to find this buck out in the field, so we made a game plan to come back in the morning to see if we could find either of the bucks again. We spoke to the land owner and we were granted permission to pursue them if we they were still in there in area.

The next morning we returned and didn't see either of them at first light, the field is pretty hilly so we decided to go for a walk around the outer edge of the field. As we walking down the hill we noticed this buck and a smaller one standing on the edge of a slough, looking right at us. We layed down in the fence line and waited them out unit they settled back down, 3 more does came out of the slough and had joined them. I stayed along the fence to keep an eye on the buck while my fiance crawled back to the truck to suit up and grab her bow.

The two bucks and a doe all bedded on a side hill 30 yards from the edge of the slough. Where they were bedded the crop was only up to the bucks belly, so if we got into position she should have a clear shot. We crawled down the fence line to the edge of the slough, then we crawled through the slough until we were positioned below them. The buck was bedded in a way that the crop was over his eyes but below his rack. She ranged his antlers at 31 yards. Then the waiting game started, he stood 3 different times but didn't present her a shot. After 4 hours she finally got her opportunity. The buck jumped the string a bit and was hit back a ways but he ran the the next slough and bedded down and expired shortly after. Best part was that slough was right next to the road, so we only had to going into to crop to grab her arrow.

It was all smiles the rest of the day! I'm pretty excited for her.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk