View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes a 26 Nosler will break the shoulders on a moose or elk, but a 26 Nosler isn't a 6.5 CM. or 260rem, or a 6.5x55, which all have comparable ballistics, and perform similarly on game. I personally like to carry a cartridge that will handle any game that I encounter, and pretty much any situation that I might encounter, so while I feel comfortable carrying a 260rem, or 6.5x55 for deer or or moose where I am not likely to run into a grizzly, I carry my 7mmstw even when hunting sheep, because if I am ever charged by another grizzly, I feel confident that it will stop a charge. And I don't mind carrying the extra weight, in that situation. And I have seen a couple of dozen grizzlies while hunting sheep or elk in the mountains.
Again, another situation where a 260rem, creed, or Swede wouldn’t be on my list of rifles. I’d feel totally cozy packing my 280ai though.

Just because it wouldn’t be my first pick I have no doubt any of the three little 6.5’s would kill even a grizzly, the fact is with a charging grizzly sometimes picking your sweet spot is not so easy. Killing elk or moose or sheep would be a different story.