View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 AM

What a great thread I stumbled on over coffee this morning !!!!!!
CAT...KOOL PICS !!! You're jogging the old grey matter this morning.. Happy, happy, happy times, Thank YOU !

My first 4 deer fell with my dads old 30-30...using the old Imperial yellow tipped 150/170 gr bullets...IIRC..the yellow / blue color told the bullets grain weight (??)
I still have his old rifle, with 4 notches in the stock, to be passed down to my son ( I watched too many westerns then...heh heh heh still do...lmao)
I then graduated to a 303...bullet of choice-- "Saber Tips"...that one accounted for the next 3 deer in my life...using the "dreaded Saber Tips" The old guys said I needed a "bigger gun"..I was a good shot and they wanted me to hunt the fields...I obliged.

I remember back in that 70's period some of my mentors that were using the Saber Tipped bullets in their Remi-Semi jam jams! They used to CUT the tips off them !!
They claimed they would poke thru and not mushroom properly...I went against the grain when I opted to leave them on
I never lost any deer with them...while others with cut off tips did. I can only imagine what their groups would have looked like on paper back then...lol

Some guys swore by those old KKSP's ! The proof was always in their freezers and corned meat buckets put down for the winters !!

Then up next for me was a Win 70 in 30-06...again Saber Tips for a few years...then Silver Tips. Never looked back...always had a special tip of one kind or another to load in my cases.

I was the newbie and the only ballistics nerd at that time, who wanted to get into reloading. Back then, reading the hunting and gun magazines sealed the reloading deal for me. I did so in earnest a short time later.
Almost all my stuff came from Barrotto Sports back in the day...still using it today !!!
....So Glad I did.
Been a Nylon, Silver and Nosler Ballistic tip fan ever since !
I just went thru my first 6 hunting seasons with only 2 cups of black coffee!
THANKS AGAIN CAT !!!