View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Depends how you compare them. The Helix's easily compete with the HDS's capability wise and they have features such as mega imaging that the Elite Ti's do not compete with.
Functionally the Helix doesn't hold a candle to the HDS but that is where the decision has to be made. Do you want a lexus or a toyota, they are both going to do the same thing ones just going to be nicer doing it.[/quote]

The Lowrance Elite Ti series competes with the HDS capability wise too, that doesn't make them equivalent.

I do agree with your basic premise though. All the sonar units from every manufacturer share the same basic capability these days, and they all do it pretty well. The functionality, added capability, and better build quality are what separates the higher end units.

Quote:
Watch that video I posted. He is getting amazing clarity at speeds of 2-3 mph so I would have to disagree with this statement based on what I have seen. The key is to match scroll speed to boat speed but that goes for any side imaging fish finder.

The only downside to mega imaging that I have seen is its reduced range. This can be noticed in the video when he switches between frequencies but if you need longer range you can just use the lower frequency which is on par with the other manufacturers standard side imaging.
The manufacturers themselves, both Lowrance and Humminbird, suggest speeds of 5-8 mph for optimum SI performance, and that's been my experience with SI. It definitely works best in that range, anything from about 2-2.5 mph or less (ie trolling speed) and clarity suffers. I couldn't find any info on optimum speeds for the Mega, maybe it will be capable of better resolution at slower speeds.

Mega imaging is the key feature that separates the Helix. It definitely has potential for smaller area, high definition SI and is a potential advantage for Humminbird. It'll be a while before all the facts are in on it, it will certainly be interesting to watch.