View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 PM

Many years ago I read an American Kennel Club article that talked about dogs that bite. The article seemed to suggest that for the most part there were more recorded bites within certain breeds mainly because there were more of certain breeds. eg. There are lots of biting labs because there are lots of labs in the population.

My take on dogs that mix it up in dog parks is that unless they are properly trained many will do what dogs often do. I think that many think that there job is to defend their owner's space. When there is an intrusion in their space, without a dominant handler, the dogs think it is up to them to sort out the territory thing. Many handlers let their dogs meet and greet other dogs. What starts out as a friendly sniff progresses to an unwelcome sniff. Dogs within a pack have worked out and know their pecking order but two strangers have to sort that out. One has to be submissive and allow the sniff or the fur will fly. Sometimes they will get into a playful tussle but the dominant one will end up on top holding the other down. If the one on the bottom relaxes and submits the two will be friends.

Dog handlers should know that having a well socialized dog is not for the dog to have a fun social life, but one that allows the handler to have a social life when he/she is with their pet in public.

Eye contact is also a pecking order thing. When dogs meet and lock in the eye thing, one must break the contact or the fur will fly.

If the dog fight has not been resolved, don't think your dog has forgotten. It may be a long time but if the two should meet again both will remember and attempt to settle the argument. They will probably skip the introduction and go straight to the fight.

I do not think that confident dogs do not just suddenly bite people. I think that many bite out of fear. It is important to know if your dog is confident or timid.

Even designated off lead areas require the dogs to be in control. I am surprised how many I see just turn their dogs loose to do as they please and later say I have never seen him do that before. Where there are many dogs, there often is many fights.

I think there also is a certain type of dog owner that will not admit it but goes to go to the park in hopes of a confrontation so he can demonstrate that his dog, like himself is not to be messed with.

I think for some dogs their breeding will have an influence on how they react around other dogs. In my previous life I had German Shorthaired Pointers and I hung around other GSP people. For the most part the dogs got along better than their owners. Most of our dogs were Canadian or American bred but I did notice that German or European bred dogs were more dog aggressive and most were very cat aggressive. I learned that the Germans expected their dogs to kill small animals such as foxes on sight. Gamekeepers expected their dogs to put the run on other dogs that were not authorized to be on the property. The German dogs were usually very good hunters but did not get along as well with dogs that they were braced with. So I think that breeding has something to do with aggression even in the non fighting breeds.

All that said, I am glad that for the last 20 plus years I have not had to rely on dog parks to exercise my dogs. When I am out with my dogs I still watch what's coming and know when I need to order my friend to heel.

I have a big gripe with some people. If you see a dog that just begs to be hugged and petted, please ask the owner if you can do so.

Last edited by covey ridge; 10-18-2017 at 09:51 PM.