View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM

As far as people's comments who believe "a dogs aggressive behavior is due to the owner" should consider the fact, I have two dogs, both medium sized, one is aggressive toward other dogs and the other is not. They are raised in the same house with the same owners.

I do believe, like children, there is an impact on the way a child/dog is raised and what adults/mature dogs they grow up to be, but it's one element of influence of many. If a dog has an aggressive disposition, all an owner can do is soften it (or, alternately, increase it).

I do believe some breeds are more prone to aggressive behavior.

And I do believe a dog's aggression can be completely different and opposite toward others dogs and toward humans.

Either way I have a male border collie/black lab who is protective, but very tolerant and friendly of other dogs, he has never been aggressive toward other dogs big or small, but has been aggressive (defensive) only when attacked. He, in my opinion, is more likely to be "defensive" in protecting my wife and daughter and I would not be surprised if a threat came into the yard/home (when my son or I was not home) and would take defensive and aggressive action toward a human. If the repair guy goes out to his van and returns and comes in through the front door he will block him and growl and not let him by.

On the other hand, I have a female golden retriever/coyote cross, she is a real biatch and will fight any dog, any size, any time and has a real aggressive streak. She needs to be on the leash at the park. I cannot imagine her ever, under any circumstances, being aggressive toward anyone (human). The repair man can come in/out of the door into our house and she wags her tail.