View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Grab your torch and pitchfork.

I spend alot of time in dog parks, and this past summer I broke up 7 dog attacks - not fights but attacks. Large dog on small dog. 3 times I had blood on my hands and arms. Of these 7 attacks, 3 were Labs, one rottie, one husky, and the other 2 were cross breeds. None looked like bully anything.

Owners of the large dogs that attack claim my dog has never done this before - and I believe that for the most. I have no doubt due to the shock and panic the owners exhibit. Here's the problem, I like to know why the attack happened..

I asked all 7 owners if their dog has squeaky toys - all answer yes.
I asked all 7 owners if their dog destroys squeaky toys - all answer yes.

In 3 of these attacks, I seen what happened leading up to the attack, seen the actual attack and the aftermath. What happens?

Large dog approaches small dog, small dog gets nervous and many small dogs squeak or shriek - one can see the moment the switch flips in the large dogs head, and they see a squeak toy that needs to be terminated. It's not just small dogs either - many large dogs can sound squeaky when excited - and I've seen that stimulate aggression as well in other large dogs.

I wish more people would stop to think about what they are doing to their dogs.

We need DNA testing of EVERY dog that attacks to show what breed or combination of breeds that are doing the attacking. It's fair that the owner of the dog that attacks pays for it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...atal-1.4348090

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4249925
Aunt is a very experienced dog handler. Most problems are owner derived problems...however some dogs are unique insofar as the fight or flight or aggression instinct is far higher. Pitbulls are one as an example. Triggers are usually sudden and can be noise or movement related.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin