View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=RavYak;3712139]As an example it wouldn't bother me one bit if Athabasca rainbows went extinct and were replaced with other species of rainbows, brookies, browns etc.

If conservation of a species is the only goal then they should choose 1 or 2 rivers/areas and conserve them in those areas. They don't need to shut down half the freaking province trying to maintain a species that is not an ideal fit for most of the waterbodies it was originally found in.

Rav, as much as I LOVE catching fish, I don't agree with you on this one. It pains me to think my actions may delay, and even risk the 5 new systems our bio's say we NEED to protect. I - Blair - believe also in the science. Our native species means a great deal to me. I can't disagree closing these next 5 would be good for the

But the overarching question I have is - WTF????

Just like mining in our province now where reclamation fees are paid as our industry extracts our resources - our government needs to legislate that development and extraction of not only our resources are trucked out along with the profits - they are going to be held responsible for maintenance of our watersheds in areas they work in. We need to collect some our their profits along the way, make sure our government actually allocates the collections from, and maintain our watersheds. Pay it as a deposit to perform business in that area. These companies have deep pockets. Deeper as they gotten away with this for so long.

I have been privileged to know 3 of the 5 watersheds proposed to be closed.