View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How sure are you about that? Even if was to get in a cab, go to the hospital and ask for a blood test, it might be hours before I could be seen, and even if I was seen right away, and a sample was taken that proved that I was innocent, what legal recourse would I have to recover the cost of the tow, and the impound fees? That is why they are making laws like this, the government knows that we have no way to dispute the charges.
If you question the accuracy of the screening test the procedure is to arrange for a regular authorized breath test that is authorized for court purposes. I think it said that in the link you provided? Now if you demand a blood test, it is up to you to arrange that.

I do not know what RCMP procedure is but I can tell you that Calgary Police do the screen and depending on the reading you may be required to take a further test. That further test may concluded that one is over .08 and should be charged or may support your claim that you have not consumed enough to be suspended. Most people who read at least .05 know how much they have had to drink and are willing to comply.

In case you are wondering, one is compelled by law to provide a sample or as many samples that are necessary to determine the amount of alcohol if any that is in the blood.

I agree that no matter which test is being conducted, the equipment need to be maintained and accurate.

I think that the object of all this is an attempt by the Provincial government so prevent further deaths due to impaired driving and not to impose a police state.

From your link:

Bond has pointed out several times that since the law came into effect last September, there has been a 40 per cent reduction in impaired driving deaths, or about 45 lives saved.