View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW223 View Post
What discipline do you compete in ?
If we have a barrel that won’t shoot until 4-5 rounds go through , it will never stay on the gun for a competition .we would keep it as a practice barrel and only if it was able to shoot low .2’s in practice , if not it’s scrap, shooting until the accuracy falls off in competition is a good way to wind up on page two. The idea is to stay in front of stray shots, different disciplines have different requirements , some have no time to clean but also don’t demand the same accuracy as srb
Different lots of steel do respond differently , that is part of the reason it takes some barrels 10-15 rounds to break and others 150 rounds , usually try to buy barrels with consecutive numbers or from the same lots , even that is no guarantee that they are from the same lot of steel , usually you can tell when you machine them , they will cut the same
Sorry .. I wasn't aware that I had to compete in order to know a bit about barrels. I suppose the guys that don't make the top five percent in a competitive shooting discipline don't know much either.