View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Hitch is a good coach , surprised he didn't get a one year contract. I said it when he got hired and was wondering how the young starts would take to his tough, hard old school approach. May have nothing to do with it but I would be hard pressed to think they will find a better guy.
I don't think it's about his style or how they players are reacting to it. I don't doubt he wasn't always beloved in that dressing room, but there's no denying he took a few of those players to new levels. Having said that, I'm not sure it's the best approach, and obviously neither was Holland.

Holland was pretty clear as to the main reason when he was asked about it. He's looking for a LONG term solution. Someone he can "come to work with" every day and be part of a team well into the future. Hitchcock is not that guy, even by his own admission. I'm not sure who the next guy will be, but I think there's some good candidates out there. My preference would be to go younger and more "new school" as a counter balance to Holland. Let them grow together. I guess we'll see.

I'm not upset that Hitch won't be back as the HC, I think that's absolutely the right move, you need to start fresh. He's under contract for 2 more years. If they're smart, they'll take advantage of that hockey knowledge and experience, and his passion for his hometown team, and they'll make him earn that money in some kind of advisory or mentorship role in the organization.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 05-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.