View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not saying I disagree with you Hagar but it that case, what would make a big/old one more special than a lower scoring/young one? I hear a lot on this site about it being all about the hunt and trophy size doesn't make it a trophy so why is that different with sheep? A hunt for a young ram can be equally as challenging as that for an old one. As a person that's killed several rams, personally I'd love to see more restrictive regulations that put more old rams on the mountain but score is important to me. But, I don't think that would be fair to new or unsucessful hunters or good for hunters in general. Just curious on your thoughts why we need more old rams if as it seems, populations are healthy. Not saying you're one of them but it seems a few people are trying to work both sides of the trophy arguement...size/age doesn't make it special/trophy....size/age does make it special/trophy. I can't see how the species changes that.
The thing is, we havent said that there is a population issue. We have only stated that some more older more mature rams running around cant hurt. With this you will get bigger trophies if thats what floats your boat. Some guys could care less what the score sheet states. But if we pass on these younger rams it cant do anything but help age quality and for you trophy quality.
All sheep are special no matter the size and any just legal ram is for sure a trophy but will be more so in a couple more years. If the majority of rams are shot when just 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 then we will gain nothing other than keeping everything as it is now. If we could hit the predators and just shoot rams that are few years older then we would have some phenominal hunting here.

No one is saying that there is big problems with things now but it could be alot better with very little effort and sacrifice.

JMHO
SG