View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Discussing various threads is fun here, and helps to pass the time until the ice melts.

Anyway, here's a more serious thread for input.

I've been chucking flies for >45 years but often see the terms "technical water", "technical fly-fishing", "technical nymphing", etc., etc., in a number of articles and wonder what the heck they mean by the word "technical". Is it just elitists trying to make the sport more complicated than it should be or trying to scare away newbies and novices from going to a particular piece of water?
In regards to technical water and technical fly fishing (different from technical nymphing), for the most part, I think it implies the number of constraints that are in place to properly present a fly. If you have ever spent a day fishing the spring creek in western Alberta, you will understand 'technical' fly fishing. Gin clear water, undercut banks, willows right to the banks that leave absolutely no room for a back cast (essentially fishing straight up and downstream), and neurotic brown trout. After 45 years, it might not be technical fishing for you, but the first time I experienced it, I had 5 years fly fishing under my belt, and it was absolutely humbling.