View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
I didn’t order the NULA from Melvin, I bought it used. If I had ordered it from him, there would have been a couple things I would have done differently. If I had one of his rifles where everything was exactly to my specs, I’d still have it. I sold the NULA, and after buying the Barrett, still had $2000 left over for a shotgun.

I agree though, the locking safety is a big plus in the NULAs favour, and both triggers are timneys, so I found them very comparable.

And I have an almost 12 year old who gets to go chase deer around for the first time this November. And for some unknown reason he had the urge to pick up a rifle the wrong way when he started shooting gophers years and years ago. I have him set up with a lefty Tikka in 6.5creed, but choices are definitely limited. My favourite choices of Kimber, Barrett, or Winchester weren’t options that were available to him.

If I was a lefty I’m positive I’d own one or two of Melvin’s rifles (probably 280rem if I only had one, 7mm-08 and 338-06 if two - not that I’ve thought about it much....). When my 12 year old is older and can afford to buy his own rifles, I would strongly recommend a NULA to him. Unfortunately Melvin is getting up there in years, and who knows how long he’ll still be making rifles for. And it will be a darn shame when he retires.

I would spec out a gun and have Melvin make at least one for your son now while he is still building them. You can get him to work it off over the next 4 or 5 years. It will be a gift he will have the rest of his life. I talked to him last year and he was still in great form but I don't know that Melvin has anyone lined up to take over for him and even if they did, not sure the guns would be the same. If I had known about NULA when I was younger I would of had one much sooner. Like I said, far and away the best Left Handed hunting rifle on the market and I have probably tried every single make of left hand hunting rifle currently or previously made.