View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hawken View Post
There’s lots of mule deer in the province why not let home put in for his own draw and wait like a lot of us did. I guess I look back when I started hunting over 30 years ago I looked forward to putting in for draws with Dad even though it took awhile to get. If he gets a chance to shoot a deer with someone else’s tag will it be the memory he wants. In a world that youth feel entitled maybe a wait is not a bad idea.
Why would the name on the tag in any way tarnish the memory of a hunt? I could understand if someone used their wife or child to draw a tag, and then illegally filled that tag for them, but that isn't the case here. If anything, sharing the hunt with friends and family will provide even more memories. I have no plans to use the tag myself, so why shouldn't a young hunter enjoy the benefit from my applying for 13 years? I enjoyed watching a friend and new hunter harvest my moose with a partner license last fall, and I will enjoy being there when this young man harvests his first antlered mule deer using my tag. One of my most memorable moments from last fall, was watching the young man shoot the last goose of the day, on our final goose hunt of the season. The rest of our party lay there guns down, and watched and cheered as that last goose was harvested. We will all remember that moment and recall it for years to come. It was no different when the young man shot his first pheasant over my dog. When the dog locked up on point, the last thought in my mind was shooting the bird myself, I wanted the young man to shoot that bird. And when the bird fell, we all celebrated the event.
Perhaps I hunt for different reasons than you do, but having a new hunter fill my tag , is even more enjoyable than filling the tag myself. And the fact that this young man enjoys being out in the field with us so much, makes it that much more enjoyable for me.