View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Once is more then enough with a coni. LOL Yeah me too.

Setting a 220 cubby set for Fisher. Got careless and hit the trigger while placing a guide stick. Woke up with the trap clamped on my finger tips.

Funny thing was it wasn't clamped hard, but it sure did hit hard. I remember hearing the trap fire and I remember yanking back my hand, but next thing I remember was cool snow melting on my face. I was face down in the snow.

That was the toughest ride out I have ever had. Operating a skidoo, though deep snow and over beaver dams, with one hand is difficult to say the least.

Within a couple of days I lost four finger nails. And that was one of the original 220s. I suspect a #7 Sauvageau or one of the other modern traps would brake bones.

I used to accidentally snap a trap or two on mu hands when we used leg hold traps. The only ones I was even a little afraid of was the #4 jump traps.

We used mostly #1 and 1 1/2. they didn't even sting all that much.

For Beaver Fox and Coyote we used snares almost exclusively until the conis came along. Nothing interesting happened with those snares.

Now I use conis for Beaver in open water and snares under ice. I make my own snares, lock and all. And I am experimenting with conis on Fox and Coyote. I've had a few catches but I think they were accidental. So I'm still working on that.