View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM

Default Lots of Land Left

@mountainti, congrats on getting out lots. @FClightning, the issue is that in most areas where quads are "limited" they actually aren't. Last week I was out in the Ghost, and on multiple cut lines where SRD had tried to block access the quads had worked around it through the woods (and chopping down more trees to do so). There is no viable way to enforce the OHV rules in remote areas like the Ghost and most of the Bighorn. If the quads aren't flat out banned then they will continue to get off the designated routes. Trucks can't do that to the same extent, and seem to generally play by the rules better. Not always, but solvable, and it's easier to stop a truck than a quad (a few of my friend's trucks excepted, but they play nice).

Have a look at the maps in the link below if you haven't already, the areas where OHVs are banned are tiny on the front range. Personally, I'd like to see OHVs allowed in small areas, basically parks for OHVs. Right now it's small areas for parks, and OHVs are allowed in most places.

https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/64...nsolidated.pdf

Finally, banning hunting and banning quads are not the same thing, but they are related. As hunters we really need to clean up the public's perception of us. That's the greatest long term danger to hunting, and the gong show OHV and random camping from "hunters" shapes the public perception far more than the many I know who hunt without trashing the places they hunt. Advocating for continued OHV use in sensitive areas like the Bighorn does not help the image of hunters at all. The times are changing, and either we change too or we'll get written out.