View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So a 12 year old kid shooting a deer has now become a sheep hunter hanging off a cliff with one arm shooting in the wind. Nice.

Don’t like magnums? Small caliber guys?

!
Dandy deer Chuck. Remember the pic well, always do when it comes to a good deer. Not sure the point of the pic though. If I was ambitious I would dig up a pic of the skull from the largest grizz ever killed in Alberta showing the neat little .22 caliber hole in it....but it makes no point.
Now why on earth would a sheep hunter hang from a cliff with one arm while shooting in a mountain type wind? Are you saying that the perfect shot doesn't always present itself? Heart isn't broke with the first shot every time?

It would seem there are some who lead us to believe each and every shot they have ever taken has been right on point. A mistake never made. Having anything more than a single shot is a waste of weight.
To me these are the guys that are lacking in experience if this has never occurred in their hunting career......or their righteous attitude omits those times from memory or comments on threads.

Yeah, a .22 rimfire can kill a grizzly bear. I have no doubt a .223 will knock down deer size game quite handily.
But IN MY OPINION, if and when and once again, I make a less than perfect shot on an animal I would choose a .300 wby over a .223 any day. But that's just me.
And if you can't shoot enough rounds out of a larger caliber to be accurate with it, then by all means choose something smaller. A .243 is a fine choice for starting out. Actually shot my first deer with a .243. Was a few moons ago.
ps, I have never bought a rifle based on what shells cost. Load em up and shoot. One of my .300 wbys, bought it new probably 25 years ago...surprised it even has any rifling left with the amount its been shot. That gun has shot more gophers than many rimfires. Never had one get away, and not every shot was in the boiler room haha. Good times....