View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 03:56 AM

Default Thoughts on the American and XPR

A few years ago, I purchased 2 Americans in .308 for my 2 boys to use. Each were about $300 U.S. at the time, minus scope and rings. Americans are accurate enough for my purposes (+/_ 1 MOA with most factory ammo) but the stocks are flimsy at best and have a "V" block bedding system that is a bit tricky to glass bed. Several of the magazines I have do not feed reliably. The stock trigger is fine and easy to adjust (I also cut 1.5 coils off for a 2 lbs. pull). Bolt is better than the Axis but not butter smooth. Matte finish is as expected at this price

I purchased an XPR this July in 300 WSM without bases or rings for just under $300 after $100 rebait. The trigger is nice and crisp and easy to adjust. The stock is much more solid than the American, no flex felt or observed. The recoil lug fit a bit loose, but was easy to glass bed the stock. The magazine feeds well so far. Bolt is somewhat stiff to work but I expect it will smooth out as I cycle it more. Finish is matte. I can shoot 0.8-1 MOA at best with hornady precision hunter ammo. No big complaints about the gun. It's another decent budget Rifle. Both rifles will get the job done for almost any hunting scenario, but so far I prefer the XPR.