View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Some of us remember how the Remington 788 was bashed into the ground and discontinued. The funny thing is if you have one now and want to sell it they sell in a flash for a lot more than the original price tag. Makes me wonder how they managed to get better after 40+ years.

The gun writers of the day never had anything good to say about them,
I remember the 788 well! I have owned a few and I even have one now. I do not recall gun writers saying much bad about them. I remember many suggesting the action for building a bench rifle. I think it was the gun snobs including myself that did not want to be seen with a cheap rifle. I think that the success of cheap gun itself was threatening to Remington. Many questioned why their more premier guns like the bdl did not preform as well.

When Savage introduced the axis they already had a winner in the Stevens 200. I once asked a rep as to why the need for the axis when the 200 was doing so well. After getting the usual run around about the desire to offer the customer more choices he eventually told me that the 200 was being replaced just because of cost to manufacture.

This year I bought a Ruger American just because I wanted to hunt with a .243 and the Ruger Am was cheap. It shot well and was light and a pleasure to carry and did what it was supposed to. Later when it got colder and my hands became numb I managed to break the clip on the magazine which I can only describe as a POS. My fault but I did get what I paid for.