View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Some of us remember how the Remington 788 was bashed into the ground and discontinued. The funny thing is if you have one now and want to sell it they sell in a flash for a lot more than the original price tag. Makes me wonder how they managed to get better after 40+ years.

The gun writers of the day never had anything good to say about them, just like the axis gets trashed today. Its amazing how the Axis was doomed to be a 1 year gun too when it was introduced, yet there must be thousands of happy owners . It just seems to do what it is supposed to, much to the dismay of the experts.

Sure some have had a problem , but oddly enough some very expensive shiny guns seem to need repair and warranty also. We read about how bad the bolts are, but oddly they seem to consistently remove fired cases and chamber the next round without jamming. Sure the trigger is heavy, but it seems to do what it is supposed to, and when looking at a deer, the trigger could be 20 pounds and I wouldn't notice. It seems that those that treat the Axis and other budget guns with some care and don't abuse them , toss them in the trunk etc . they do exactly what they were supposed to do.

We all know the clip has issues with the plastic breaking, it seems logical to carefully insert it, and not try to ram it in like your next shot is going to save your life. They do what they are supposed to . The price is good, and I am sure that in the years to come they will still be killing things.

They are not for me, I like deep blue or brown, and nice wood, but they are good for lots of people on a budget.