View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Yeah just checked the stash, them 220 sierras we designed for the 8mag I think? Lots of the 8mm bullets blew apart as they were mostly for the 8 Mauser from what I've been reading.
I have some 195 interlocks and 180 ballistic tips as they were cheap and I can see how fast they go and get some practice! But would hunt with 200gr plus to lay em out.
I would be happy hunting with 220 aframes, woodleigh makes some heavy ones too.
Yes, I've read the same about the 220 Sierra's. They may be designed for the 8mm mag but from what you read on some of the other forums, they leave a little bit to be desired in actual performance. Of course they were talking about Alaska hunting. Big moose, big coastal bears, etc.

I've only shot game (elk) with the 200gr Accubonds (3200fps) and don't have any complaints, but again they were pass through so I've never recovered one. The animals dropped in their tracks so it's not a big reach to assume they performed well.

I've used Woodleigh's in my 45-70 but not in the great 8. They make a good bullet, so it may be another option.

I tink if you loaded up the 180 Ballistic Tips and shot a deer or elk, etc. you'd have a giant hematoma (bruise) with a little bit of usable meat around it!