View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No problem, I figured. I was posting in general.

Pike, I look fondly back on those days a Wabamun....
Pike fight great for their size. I would still give the edge to trout but specifically turbo charged rainbows. But really, they both fight hard imho. Agreed on River Pike. power!

Speaking of river fish, my largest walleye at 10 lbs out of the RDR I thought, until I actually saw it, that it was a large pike I was fighting. Lots of quick direction changes and hard runs when it did. I have a lot of respect for river fish over lake fish.
Yeah, I have a hard time deciding on that one. I've had some big trout give me some great fights, but since I'm always catching them on way lighter gear its hard to compare. The odd time when you hook a pike when ice fishing for perch or whitefish, even a 3-5 lb fish can put up a pretty epic battle.

River vs lake fish... a few years ago I caught a 42" pike off the beach at Lesser Slave Lake and a 36" pike right by the river mouth. The next day I fished down river and I caught two 30" pike that both peeled off way more line than either of the larger fish from the lake. Catching those pike back to back like that sure made the difference obvious.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-03-2017 at 12:19 AM.