View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM

Okay, that is about as uncomplicated it gets for muzzle loaders - except for the cleaning.
Most guns have what is called a hooked breach, the barrel basically is held by a wedge that when slid out of the stock, lets the barrels get lifted off and then you can remove the nipples and stick the barrels into a bucket of hot soapy water and work a patch up and down on the ram rod like a bilge pump.
Run a rinse through it, make sure it's dry, oil it up, and then clean out the nipples.

I spray my guns down with G96 afterwards, some guys use WD40, and others use other stuff.
Still others simply clean out their guns with Windex, but unless I am going to keep shooting all day Ii don't like to do this.
Seems to me we were shooting a few years back and I loaned a gun to a fella and never checked it afterwards.
Turns out I traded the thing and the poor guy who got it finally gave up trying to get it clean!
Very embarrassing for me, nobody's fault but mine for sure.
Anyway, ask any questions and PM away if you wish, we will start on the cartridge guns tomorrow!!
Cat