View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Default Another lost but returned box

I was fishing a very deep hole in spring runoff(fast water) conditions when my flybox got knocked out of my hands (mid fly change) by a falling rock. I froze for a minute to collect my thoughts as to how I could get it back, water was much too deep to go after it and the current was very swift if it made it out of the pool it would be long gone! Then it occurred to me, I grabbed the attention of my loyal retriever, and got her focussed on the fly box by pointing. With some encouraging words I sent her off the rocky perch we were on to fetch the flybox. It was still flipped open on one side(the upside fourtunatly) so when she arrived at the box, her "chomp" closed it and she was a little confused(used to fetching tennis balls) She continued on to the other side of the river where she dropped the box on land and had a good shake. I tried to get her to bring it back but she wouldn't. Maybe it was the noise of the small waterfall? I'm not sure but at least it was safe on land. 1/2hr walk around a big cliff to a safe place to cross and I had my box and dog back!
Just one of the reasons I don't leave home without her.
Good dog.

Sorry for the hijack, the "lost box" just gave me flashback.