View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Roadkill...I'd be seriously interested in how you justify the saneness of Albertans footing the bill for Quebecs cadillac social programs that they cannot afford without raping and pillaging Albertans, DESPITE Quebecs huge income from hydro sales.
But the thing is, Rug, I don't have to justify it. Everyone pays into the transfer payments scheme, dependent on income. And if that $6000 wasn't coming here, it still wouldn't go into social programmes in Alberta because you're *Alberta,* fer gossakes.

Plus, it's not like Québecers aren't footing any of the bill, either: I mean, I pay something like 18% sales tax every time I buy something. Hellz, if the government in Québec City wasn't paying for language cops and mafia-run public works, we might not need the payments at all. Or at least, not as much...

Harper's changes to the whole scheme were well intentioned I guess, but they really just created a whole new level of byzantine crap, because now provinces can sort of pick and choose which scheme to go for. It's a complete mess.

By the way, as of now, Ontario is the only province never to have gotten a transfer payment.

But everyone here's bitching about a few billion dollars that Québec wouldn't be asking for now if BC and Ontario hadn't been compensated for harmonising their sales taxes with Ottawa in the first place, since Québec wasn't offered anything when it harmonised in the late '90s. Or rather, 2 billion or so is due to that. The rest is actually the Bloc's way of toppling the Tories. You guys are seeing it as a money grab, when it's actually an attempt at a cyanide shot to the governing party.

So, while you're all b17@#ing and moaning about $6000 per person or whatever, you've completely missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Remember demographics are changing and Quebec is losing it's population, making the West more powerful. Soon you will be the ones being told to squeal like a pig!
Yeah, uh... you go, guy! That'll learn 'em...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The info in it is still relevant. So let's have a discussion.

I have to say Roadkill, you've got balls as big as the $6000 benefit you are getting. Best wishes and let's hope the Chinese buy up Bombardier!
What, you think they're not going to do exactly that one day? Whoda thunk back in the day that they'd ever be able to buy IBM? Next thing you know, they own Big Blue's entire PC business. Who'd have thought that an Indian company would ever own Land Rover or Jaguar? I have no doubt that at some point, they will own Bombardier. And the whole oilsands, and probably most of the mining. And since the current government is working as hard as the last one did to keep Chinese money coming into Canada, I don't think that any of us moaning about it is going to change anything.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.

Last edited by roadkill; 02-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.