View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Standard Horizon, Marine, Floating Tranceiver HX290. It's hard to determine range as the topography makes a big difference. I can tell you the range puts the little radios to shame...on some hunts we easily communicate over 10k with ease.
Thanks for info but it appears Cabelas no longer sells those. All they have now is Uniden. I have ordered some of the 8 watt Baofeng since Big Bull really liked his 5 watt version. I ordered mine out of the States since Canada ammo didn't list any radios, just the accessories and the Canadian Distributor doesn't seem to carry anything but accessories. They are about 60 U.S. each so even three of them aren't a lot of money.

The Baofengs are dual band UHF and VHF. VHF is better for distance while UHF goes through obstacles better so this way will get to try channels on both bands and see what works best in heavy bush.We shall see how those work out. Was a good thread, learned some new stuff. Since most of the radios on GMRS, like you get a t Costco are limited to .5 to 1 watt, these got to be a bunch better just on power output alone.