View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I bought a Baofeng UV-5R VHF radio to use for work as the radios in our snowcats were so crappy. It is programable, and I have many other useful channels programmed into it that I can use in case of an emergency. I also programmed the FMS channels into it that the small walkie talkies use, and on our fly-in moose hunt a few weeks ago, I was talking to another hunter on a different lake, about 5km away. These radios are very popular with the sledder crowd, and can be bought even cheaper in 10 packs. They can be programmed so that you don't get all of the unnecessary beeps and sounds.
Did you get the Gen 2 4 watt or the Gen 3 8 Watt and did you get it in Canada or order it from the States. Since you are working Snowcats, what is your realistic range in hilly wooded cover. Most radios are pretty much line of sight, within reason. I know the commercial grade Motorolas we used on job sites performed much better than the consumer versions but even they weren't great if you were out on well sites and separated by a couple of miles with heavy bush.